How To Keep Ants Away From Your Carlsbad Property
October 05, 2021 - Ants
What is something that easily catches your attention? Do you have trouble keeping your eyes off sports cars? Can you smell a baked pie from over a block away? Maybe you are perceptive when it comes to strange noises that don’t fit with the scenery around you. One thing that catches the attention of many homeowners is ants. These small pests are drawn to homes by a variety of factors, and they can cause some serious problems. To help you identify and stop these invasive insects, here are some things to consider. As always, reach out to your local pest professionals for help with extensive pest pressures.
What Ants Live In Carlsbad
Carlsbad is home to many common pests, including a few different species of home-invading ants. The four most common are pharaoh ants, odorous house ants, Argentine ants, and southern fire ants. Here is how to identify each of these pests and what problems they cause inside area homes.
Pharaoh ants are 1/16 of an inch long, pale yellow, and have darker colored abdomens. These tiny pests pose a huge threat to health as they are known for spreading dangerous diseases. Two diseases you might contract from having pharaoh ants inside your home include salmonellosis and staphylococcus.
Odorous House Ants
Odorous house ants are 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long, brown to black, and have uneven-shaped abdomens. These invasive insects are not known for causing damage or threatening homeowners, but they do have a habit of stinking up areas when squished with an aroma similar to rotting coconuts.
Argentine ants are 1/16 to 1/4 of an inch long and shiny dark brown to black. Like odorous house ants, this pest releases a bad odor when squished. Their smell, however, is musty and less pungent. Beyond this, Argentine ants are mostly nuisance pests and will only occasionally spread bacteria.
Southern Fire Ants
Southern fire ants are 1/8 to 3/8 of an inch long and dark reddish-brown. These pests are a huge threat to homeowners that enjoy spending time outdoors. Although not common, southern fire ants will sometimes find their way indoors, especially during cold weather.
Some Strategies To Prevent Ants
Ants are tricky pests to prevent in that they are small and capable of invading homes easily. Keeping this in mind, here are some exclusion tips and strategies to reduce ant attractants:
- Use a caulking gun to fill in spaces around window and door frames, cracks in foundational blocks, and other damage around your home’s exterior.
- Make sure your exterior doors have weatherstripping that is in good condition.
- Repair damage to screens around your home that are damaged or torn.
- Invest in quality door sweeps for your front door and other doors leading outside.
- Make sure to seal your garage door properly.
- Address damage to pipes and fixtures.
- Eliminate sources of water buildup inside your home and around your property.
- Use a dehumidifier around humid areas of your home.
- Clean up food messes and drink spills as they occur around your living areas.
- Make sure your trash cans are all equipped with pest-proof lids.
- Store leftover food inside of airtight containers.
- Store pet food and dried foods inside airtight containers.
A Quick Answer To Ants
Whether you are struggling to keep ants out of your home or looking for a good solution to mitigate your risk of an infestation, the Carlsbad pest experts at K&M Pest Solutions are here to help you out. Our team has the experience needed to handle pest problems inside and around Carlsbad homes. If you need assistance, we will be happy to inspect your home, assess your risk, and implement fast-working treatments to get and keep out invasive pests.